Real Estate: An Introduction to the Profession
By Charles J. Jacobus
ISBN 13: 978-1-62980-217-6
ISBN 10: 1-629-80217-4
The following information about this book is provided by its publisher, OnCourse Learning.
This popular real estate textbook introduces core industry concepts in a clear, organized presentation. A vibrant two-color design and real-world examples keep users engaged. Students will gain the solid foundation they need to succeed in modern real estate. The book includes simple contracts and policies, math review, real-world scenarios, and expanded coverage of the mortgage industry. The book’s self-paced study guide includes exam-style questions.
About The Author, Charles J. Jacobus
Charles J. Jacobus holds a Bachelor of Science degree from the University of Houston and a Doctor of Jurisprudence degree from the University of Houston Law Center. He is board certified by the State Bar of Texas Board of Legal Specialization in both residential and commercial real estate law. He is a fellow of the American College of Lawyers and a member of the Houston Real Estate Lawyer’s Council, has served as president of the Real Estate Educators’ Association, chairman of the Real Estate Section of the Houston Bar Association, and chairman of the American Bar Association Committee on Real Estate Brokers and Brokerage. He has served on the Board of Editors for the American Bar Association Committee on Books and Publications, and was Mayor of his hometown, Bellaire, Texas. He has also served on the Real Estate, Probate, and Trust Law Council of the State Bar of Texas, and as chairman of the State Bar of Texas Committee on Title Insurance. He is currently on the Texas Real Estate Commission’s Broker/Lawyer Committee.
Table of Contents
- Introduction to Real Estate.
- Nature and Description of Real Estate.
- Rights and Interests in Land.
- Forms of Ownership.
- Transferring Title.
- Recordation, Abstracts, and Title Insurance.
- Contract Law.
- Real Estate Sales Contracts.
- Mortgage and Note.
- Deed of Trust.
- Lending Practices.
- The Loan and the Consumer.
- Sources of Financing.
- Types of Financing.
- Taxes and Assessments.
- Title Closing and Escrow.
- Real Estate Leases.
- Real Estate Appraisal.
- Licensing Laws and Professional Affiliation.
- The Principal–Broker Relationship: Employment.
- The Principal–Broker Relationship: Agency.
- Fair Housing, ADA, Equal Credit, and Community Reinvestment.
- Condominiums, Cooperatives, PUDs, and Timeshares.
- Land-Use Control.
- Investing in Real Estate.
- Appendix A: Construction Illustrations and Terminology.
- Appendix B: Real Estate Math Review.
- Appendix C: Measurement Conversion Table.
- Appendix D: Chapter Review Questions.
- Appendix E: Answer Key.
- Index and Glossary.
Last updated 20180911